Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Shelby Lynne - XMF Wiggins Park Camden, NJ, US 2008-07-13 (Rem.) (FLAC)

Ok... Hi again folks. I think that something this good should be available to as many fans as possible. I picked this one up on Dime last year where a fellow member, bbenardini, did an incredible job in posting this whole festival as recorded simulcast over FM radio. I did not get many of the widely varied acts he presented but I knew that I wanted this one as soon as I saw it listed. And boy... I was not disappointed at all. This small set given by Shelby totally smokes. The playing by her top-notch backing band is incredible and she is in a totally playful and joyous mood throughout. And, as always, does she ever deliver the goods this night. The recording is totally excellent in itself but I tried to aleviate some of the normal compression from these types of recordings and to give it a little more head-room. Also, I realigned a few edit points on this remaster that I made. Of course, it is just personal preference but I like the banter, pre-counts and such going into a song included with the song and not left attached to the previous one. Another thing I must say is that you do not see all that many Shelby Lynne performances turn up anywhere at all. Here is a chance for you to grab a good one. I have included the artwork that I made for this upload. Turn this one up and give it a listen, I think you'll like it just as well as I do. Enjoy...

Shelby Lynne
XPoNential Music Festival
Wiggins Park
Camden, NJ
July 13, 2008

FM Source: Aiwa CX-NAJ50U > Line In > Audio Hijack 2.2.6 (Capture)

Editing and Conversion: Audacity 1.3.4 (Editing and track splitting) > Trader's Little Helper 2.4.1 (FLAC conversion and fingerprint creation)

Remastered: WaveLab 5 (Alieviating compression giving more head-room, and re-alinged track splitting) > WAV > FLAC (level 8, align on sector boundaries)


Setlist:
01. Intro 0:33.13
02. Life Is Bad 6:50.09
03. Telephone 4:54.28
04. Your Lies 2:57.29
05. Leavin' 5:14.51
06. Breakfast In Bed 7:23.22
07. I Only Want To Be With You 4:25.36
08. Willie And Laura Mae Jones 9:22.23
09. 10 Rocks 6:00.63
10. Killin' Kind 3:39.25
11. Jesus On A Greyhound 6:02.28
12. Outro 0:42.51

Total Disc Time: 58:06.03

Learn more here

4 comments:

Kovina Kris said...

Thank you very much for the introduction to Shelby Lynne. I have heard her name mentioned but none of her music. I've got a feeling I'm really gonna like this after reading your excellent comments and her bio on AMG and I'm real happy to get the high quality FLAC posting. Your detailed documentation of the source and conversion path/software etc. reminds me of my days following the Grateful Dead and hanging out with my taper friends. Thanks too for your wonderful entry into the blogosphere Simmdale!

Anonymous said...

Hi Simmdale & big thanks for your shares. Can you re-check Shelby Lynne's rip as all files having constant 20KHz buzz.

Thanks in advance,
George

Simmdale said...

Hey George and Kris... thank you both for your comments here. It seems this is the only listing that is getting any at all. So, let's continue our discussion... George what you are hearing (or rather probably seeing on a graphic display) is the FM pilot tone. Look here for more info about that - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_tone

Because this guy's FM reception was just incredibly clear and strong in the signal, and you can tell that by the clarity of the recording, I think that he just got that pilot tone really well captured somehow. I think he lives right near this area where the festival was held. That tone, being so high in the frequency band, most people really would never hear it or even notice it being there at all. However, I have now addressed this somewhat with a new posting of these files and I think that it brought out the mid-range to the lower high frequencies just a tad bit more to add even to this wonderful show. So, take it down again if you want... and might I encourage to take most everything and give it a try. I am only posting things here that are of high quality, both sound and performanc wise, so you can take and chance and try something new if you would like. I think you might be surprized that you would like more things than you might think that I put up here. Anyway... you could always just delete them if you do not. It's all free of charge. Enjoy looking around here at my blog and, of course, anything you might find to like in The Music Emporium.

Anonymous said...

Simdale - thank you for explanation. You ar right, it was noticed on a player graph, not heard of course. The recording is fantastic and I do enjoy visiting your blog. All the best!

George